The Education & Outreach Office in the Earth Observatory of Singapore is seeking a skilled writer/editor with experience in translating scientific and technical information into layman’s language for scientific or research organisations.
Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of natural hazards, earth science or environmental science. Some regional travel to research sites will be required. This position will report to the Education & Outreach Director of the EOS.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Write and edit inhouse brochures, research updates, press releases and policy briefs that showcase the work of EOS scientists and collaborators
- Maintain oversight of EOS website to ensure a regular supply of fresh content such as research updates, hazard alerts and other public awareness stories
- Assign and manage feature articles and educational materials contracted to outside contributors and translators when needed
- Support EOS scientists in preparing high-quality speeches and presentations for media conferences and other events
- Manage in house or contract designers and printers for publication of online and print materials
- Exceptional English writing skills with a minimum of 5-7 years experience as a journalist or science writer
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognised university, preferably in journalism, communications or English. Degree in other disciplines acceptable with a minimum of 7 years demonstrable experience as a published journalist or writer
- Proven ability to interact collegially with a team of international scientists and other technical experts, and to translate technical content into compelling stories
- Ability to meet deadlines and work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
Familiarity with web and print publishing procedures, and Web 2.0 technologies such as RSS feeds, blogs and podcasting
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply by using the prescribed Personal Particulars Form (Administrative and Support positions) obtainable from: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/ohr/Career/CurrentOpenings/Management/Documents/AdminForm.doc
Electronic submission of application is encouraged and can be forwarded to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org