EMBL is seeking an experienced Press Officer to oversee media relations activities at EMBL. Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and implementing a strategic plan for media relations activities
- Coordinating all media activities between international journalists and EMBL
- Advising EMBL staff in media relations
- Following scientific discoveries at all EMBL sites and liaising with scientists for gathering information
- Working with EMBL scientists and management to write, format and distribute press releases about scientific discoveries and other news stories coming out of the lab
- Writing & editing articles for EMBL's Annual Report
- Maintaining and updating media database
- Representing EMBL at international conferences
- Working closely with EIROforum
Qualifications and Experience: In addition to a university degree, experience in public relations or communications as well as background in life sciences are required. Applicants should also have excellent written and oral English skills. German or French language abilities would be advantageous. Extensive experience in dealing with journalists and a large international network of media contacts is desirable. As well as being able to work independently, candidates should have strong interpersonal skills and be able to work effectively as a member of the communication team at EMBL.
Contract: An initial contract of 3 years will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of review.
Closing date: 17 May 2009
Web page: http://www.embl.de/
To apply, please email a cover letter, CV (in English) and contact information of three professional references quoting ref. no. ABSW/09/025 in the subject line, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personnel, EMBL, Postfach 10.2209, 69012 Heidelberg, Germany.
Fax: +49 6221 387555 E-mail: email@example.com