Applications are invited for the position of Director of Communications for the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP). IGBP is an international research programme that provides scientific knowledge about the Earth System in response to the challenges of global sustainability (www.igbp.kva.se/). Its 9-person Secretariat is hosted by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in Stockholm.
The Communications Director will direct the communications efforts of IGBP, including internal communications amongst IGBP projects and project scientists, and outward communications with the wider science community, the education sector, policy makers, the media and the public. A key function of the Communications Director is to assist IGBP in generating and communicating impartial, policy-relevant science, through a wide range of products and processes (e.g., Global Change Newsletter, email bulletin, website, annual report, press releases). See http://www.igbp.net/page.php?pid=451 for position announcement and the IGBP Science Communication Strategy. The Communications Director will oversee a small communications team.
The successful candidate will have:
- excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and experience in science communications or science journalism;
- experience in effectively translating the results of scientific research into forms appropriate for a range of different audiences including policy makers, educators, the media and the general public;
- experience leading and working within a team, and coordinating a portfolio of communication activities;
- ability to initiate and manage a large and complex workload to tight deadlines and be responsible for communications outcomes;
- demonstrated experience in planning and implementing media campaigns;
experience writing for the web and with web content management systems;
- highly developed interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- supervisory experience
- willingness to undertake occasional international travel.
- experience refining and guiding the implementation of a long-term science communication strategy for a large and diverse international scientific network;
- have an understanding of, and interest in, global environmental change issues;
- some science background and an appreciation of the scientific process, and the interface between natural and social sciences;
- non-profit fundraising experience.
The Director of Communications will be appointed initially for a 3-year period, will be an employee of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and will report to the IGBP Executive Director. The salary will be based on the salary structure of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (roughly equivalent to Swedish academic salary structure) and will consider the qualifications and experience of the candidate. To apply send: CV, a supporting statement of no more than 500 words, names and contact information for 3 references, and 3 examples of work that reflect your communication ability, to Charlotte Boss-Wilson at Admin@IGBP.kva.se. Review of applications will begin on 30 January 2009.