The European Science Foundation (ESF) provides a platform for its Member Organizations to advance European research and explore new directions for research at the European level.
Established in 1974 as an independent non-governmental organisation, ESF currently serves 80 Member Organisations (Research Funding Agencies, Research Performing Organisations and Academies) across 30 countries.
Mission of the Position
The ESF is offering an exciting position with the opportunity for an experienced press officer to further develop media relations at the ESF.
The mission of this position is to provide ESF Member Organisations, the European Research Community in general, the policy makers, the media and society at large with effective communication and to develop and implement a plan for media relations to increase ESF’s international visibility as one of the major players in the European Research Area. This position requires an outgoing, enthousiastic and diplomatic profile to work closely with journalists, scientists and senior management both internally and externally. Good press writing and interviewing skills are a pre-requisite and an existing network of science journalists a bonus.
This position will involve:
- Developing and implementing a plan/guidelines for media relations activities of ESF;
- Identifying and developing proactive media stories;
- Cultivating collaborative relationships with print and broad cast media;
- Networking with international journalists ;
- Pitching stories and securing longer lead placements in top media outlets;
- Writing and editing feature articles;
- Conducting podcast interviews
- Working with ESF scientists and management to write, format and distribute press releases
- Maintaining and further developing the Media Centre on the ESF website
- Handling the prompt reply to media enquiries ;
- Writing and editing all corporate material;
- Liaising with the freelance network and coordinating the work.
Profile and Competences required
The successful jobholder should demonstrate the following competences:
- Degree in communications or journalism and a minimum of 5 years experience in science journalism and communication ;
- A scientific background would be an asset;
- Proven experience of the media and how it works;
- An established network of journalists;
- Proven experience in writing science stories for a variety of media;
- Ability to create quality content in a fast-paced working environment, under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines;
- Ability to recognise news value and to be proactive in taking action in promoting ESF activities;
- An understanding of how corporate communication fits into the wider objectives of an organisation;
- High standard of spoken and written English;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases and Web sites (Typo 3).
- Action-orientated, responsible and autonomous, creative and willing to take initiatives, an
- continuously improvement-minded;
- Strong inter-personal and excellent communication skills within a multi-national context, including discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
- Good self organisational skills;
- Good presentational skills;
- Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
- Commitment to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Positive and constructive attitude;
- Capable of demonstrating the ESF’s values: Excellence, Openness, Responsiveness, Pan-European approach, Ethical Awareness and Human Values.
- This full-time position is offered for an 18 months contract, preferably starting as soon as possible, with the possibility of an extension.
- The place of work is Strasbourg, France and the job will involve a significant amount of travel.
- The salary level will be based on experience and qualifications of the successful candidate and will follow ESF terms and conditions.
Please send your application by 02 February 2009 to email@example.com quoting the following reference identifier
- Interviews will be held in Strasbourg 20 February 2009.
ESF welcomes applications from disabled candidates. ESF premises are fully equiped for disabled access.
Further details at www.esf.org